Welcome to the Class. We start our Prelims classes on Saturday May 4th 2013. Materials for study are already given to you. On Saturday and Sunday classes begin at 9AM sharp. Please answer the following questions and come prepared. All students should blog. A test will be given at the end of the class. A few questions will also be asked on current affairs. Read any or all of the following newspapers: the Hindu, Times of India, The Indian Express etc., Make it a habit to read the Front Line. You can read all these on line.
Listen to the lecture and read the notes given to you. These questions will be discussed in an interactive manner in the class.
The Great Revolt was followed by many peasant Revolts. The Indigo Revolt1859-60 , the Pabna Riots, Innumerble revolts in Maharashtra, the Moplah Revolts, the revolt led by Basudeo Balwant Phadke, were some of these.
Answer the following questions on the Peasants Revolts
How were the peasants affected by it?
2.Who was Hemachandra Kar and how did he unwittingly become responsible for the Indigo revolt?
3.Explain the reaction of the Zamindars to the Indigo revolt.
4. The Indigo revolt had far reaching success and impact on the National Movement than the Tribal Revolts. Account for this.
5. What was the impact of the Indigo revolt on the Moderates.
6. How did Mahatma Gandhi involve himself in the Indigo Revolt?
7. Apart from the Indigo Revolt, how else did the Peasants Revolts take place? What were the reasons?
8. How far do you think the Maoists are expressing Peasant grievances?
9. What were the Pabna revolts?
10. What was the British response to these revolts?
11. What were the Deccan riots?
12. Can you enumerate a few peasant problems that persist even today.