Administrative Ethics depend on several factors’ Some of these are outlined below. Make use of them in tackling questions in the blog.
Mutuality and collaboration
Avoidance of manipulation and conformity to ethics
Effective and meaningful relations
Impartiality, honesty and devotion
Automatic. Control of oneself instead of supervision from above
Sense of dignity and pride
The basic principle that “in helping others, one is helping one’s oneself”,
Pursuit of excellence of service in their professional activities
Leadership political and administrative
An attitude of dedication to the set goals
Jawaharlal Nehru: “No administrator can really do first class work without a sense of function”.
Strong national outlook
Integrity as ‘soundness of moral principles; the character of uncorrupted virtues
Improve the general image of the Public regarding Civil Servants.
21 thoughts on “58. Administrative Ethics: Instilling the right values in our Administrators”
1. What is Administrative Ethics?
The ethics of individual defines the decency of the civilization.
A person’s ethics in a professional role like a civil servant in general will not be more or less than that of the nation. It’s the administrator who keeps the ethics of the nation high by striving himself towards perfection.
Civil servants are the unsung heroes who work not for the wage but for the pursuit of the excellence in the work they do. They scarcely get the praise they are well deserved. That does not make them to get away from the path of their journey towards the Excellence.
Administrative ethics will include and not limited to following
• Striving for efficiency and devotion towards the work
• Maintaining the integrity of the post
• Political neutrality
• Solidarity towards individual’s grievance
In my personal opinion an administrator must lead his group of subordinates, and the people he is serving including the political hierarchy to adhere to the ethics keeping in mind that we all work for a single cause, which is for the betterment of the mankind.
2. Ultimately how a civil Servant behaves depends on his mindset. Comment
A Civil Servant can do his job without violating the law abiding codes of conduct. But it’s the individual’s integrity and behavior that adds the greatness to the post he is holding. It’s the individual’s ethics that cannot be questioned but plays a major role in his behavior while serving in the post.
The mindset of a civil servant is determined by his upbringing .
3.What is the general image of the Public regarding Civil Servants?
Public has a image that,
Civil servant post comes with powers and perks.
But they miss the point that a civil servant gets his power to exercise for the benefit of the public and this power is given by the public themselves indirectly.
If a person with similar mind set becomes a civil servant he will get corrupted without fail.
And ironically the same public thinks that all civil servants are corrupt by default.
This image must evaporate from the minds of the public
The general image of the public service is unwilingness to adopt to requests for change in the system and to cut the bureaucratic red-tape. This is the reason for a demand for the
citizen’s charter and provision for compensation in case for delays.
4. As Big Government grows Civil Servants have greater responsibilities thrust on them. Comment
It was rightly mentioned by Garner that
“No society can reach heights of greatness unless in all fields critical to its growth and creativity there is an ample supply of dedicated men and women”
As government grows it needs Administrators who can execute more responsibilities and similarly
If we get civil servants with sheer professionalism
We get the development
5. What changes should be made in the Civil Services so that Civil Servants follow administrative ethics?
• Maintaining the Conditions of Service Attractive
• Simplification of working of Government Machinery and more open governance
• Improving public consciences
• Creation of Healthy public opinion against the effects of corruption
• Ensuring high standards of conduct among the top officials
• Establish strong and effective consultative machinery with advisory bodies and periodical conferences
One more to add:
Reducing political interference
1.The civil servant must compulsorily declare his assets and liabilities. There must be strict monitoring by the Govt. which should also entail disciplinary action against the erring officer.
2.There are instances of an officer retiring without even having submitted a single assets and liabilities statement and now the case is before the Lok ayukta for disproportionate assets
6.What is the importance of training in enforcing ethical behaviour.
7.Government servants Conduct Rules must be made moiré stringent. Comment
8. How do we build Morale among top Officials?
1.Morale among top officials can come about when there is proper team work and decisions must be supported by the top management, instead of passing the buck and making an officer a scapegoat.
2.Appreciation of honesty and sincerity at work and rewards in
case of adhering to deadlines.
9. Civil servants must be properly motivated. Comment
10. What is the importance of Employees’ Participation in Decision-Making?
1. Employee participation helps in sound decision
making, it generates a WE feeling among the employees.
2. It reduces conflicts in an organisation.