This is a discussion on nature and extent of Bureaucratic Accountability in India. You have to discuss how far are the Civil servants accountable and to whom. Suggest measures to ensure greater accountability and transparency.
Note: only a summary discussion takes place in this blog. Real discussion will be in the seminars in the classroom. The entire group should draft the answer and blog it to me. No individual member of the blog can do it separately. However all the members of the group need not agree. A consolidated report not exceeding ten lines must be posted in the blog. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 15 MINUTES TO Answer.
NOTE: Only students of our institute can participate in the discussions. Outsiders are invited to enroll themselves and participate.
What do you understand by the terms Accountability and Transparency? Accountability to whom and fir what? Transparency how and why?
1. What do you understand by the terms Accountability and Transparency? Accountability to whom and fir what? Transparency how and why?
Civil Servants who are employed in complex government departments, have to be accountable to their immediate superiors, the political leadership and the public at large.
All government departments have to be efficient because they have to ensure value for taxpayers’ money. Efficiency encompasses the qualitative and value-laden expectations
of the society.
It can be argued that accountability is the fundamental prerequisite for preventing the abuse of power and for ensuring that power is directed towards the achievement of
efficiency, effectiveness, responsiveness and transparency.
Open, transparent and accountable government is an imperative prerequisite for community-oriented public
service delivery because without it covert unethical behavior will result.
2.Though the objectives of the Indian state changed, the mindset of the Indian bureaucracy did not change
3. The bureaucrats neglected rural government and had no funds fr urban development. Comment
4. Bureaucracy ignored or suppressed Civil society. comment
Yes, Since beginning of 21st century, there is decline over the years in the quality, competence and commitment of the administrative officers. Rarely are factors like competence, aptitude, past experience and public spirit taken into account, while making appointments to responsible posts.
It is more convenient for an officer to toe the line of political leaders than standing up for principles and paying the price for it.
As time is passing on, bureaucracy is becoming more and more ineffective and powerless.
Once known as the “Steel frame” of the “Whole structure”, the administrative service appears to be unable to meet the challenges of the day.
It has now lost its credibility. In-discipline, violence and lawlessness are increasing every day all over the country.
5. Suggest methods to promote bureaucratic accountability
6. We must provide greater role for Civil society including citizens’ bodies, non-profit sector and the private sector in administrative activities. Explain
7. People should be regarded as customers and stakeholders. Comment
‘Sense of service’ should be inculcated in all bureaucrats.
Each and every public servant must realise that he are there, because of the people, not the people because of him. People are not an interruption to his work, but the purpose of it.
In a country like India, where most of its people are illiterate or semi-literate, mere functional efficiency can not stir warmth.
A little glow of welcome in the eyes of civil servant converts disappointment into exhilaration in the public.
People, after meeting a civil servant, should return with satisfaction that they were heard patiently and sympathetically and that some one would be taking interest in their problems.
8. Bureaucracy must encourage local government. Comment
9. There should be governance and not government. The State should roll back. Explain
10. Bureaucracy must honour RTI in thought, word and deed, why?
11. How will Information technology promote greater accountability?
12. What is Efficiency Audit? What is its importance?
13, Decentralization will promote greater transparency and accountability. Explain
14. An effective Lok Pal will ensure grater accountability. Comment
15. Quick decision of cases against bureaucrats is necessary. Explain
16. Privatization of some services will help. How?
17. Financial audit must be done within a reasonable time. Explain.
18. How can the mass media help in promoting greater accountability?
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.