This is a discussion on the Decline of Legislatures. Not only in India but practically everywhere the Executive and the Civil service have overtaken the Legislatures. Also the Judiciary seems to be breating down the necks of the Parliaments. Also the quality of members of Parliament has declined.
Note: only a summary discussion takes place in this blog. Real discussion will be in the seminars in the classroom. The entire group should draft the answer and blog it to me. No individual member of the blog can do it separately. However all the members of the group need not agree. A consolidated report not exceeding ten lines must be posted in the blog. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 15 MINUTES TO ANSWER
Only Students of the Institute can participate. Others can view the discussions and if they are happy they can enroll as students.
26 thoughts on “8. Decline of Legislatures”
1. Have Legislatures declined everywhere? Is there something wrong with them? What should be done to improve their efficacy?
2. Do you think that these are days of triumphant bureaucracy and executive dictatorship?
3. They say that `the bright home of Parliament is in the setting sun.’ Do you agree?
4. Is there a decline in power?
5.Is there a decline in efficiency?
6. Would the efficiency of parliament increase if it has lesser power? That is should it cease bothering about every thing?
7. Should the Legislatures share power with new institutions like what Anna Hazare says with the Lok Pal?
8. What is the position of the French Legislature in this respect?
9. How far does Parliament pursue the Public interest?
10 In what respects is there a decline in the legislatures? Is there a decline in standards, in manners, in standards of behaviour? We should ask for instance whether legislatures have declined in powers in efficiency, in public esteem or in public interest in relation to their position formerly or is there a decline in relation to other political and social institutions. Comment
11. How has it declined in relation to the executive?
12. How far has delegated Legislation, which Hewart CJ called the New Despotism led to a decline in Legislatures?
13. Has the US Congress declined in relation to the Presidency?
14. Has the Legislature declined in France?
15. How far has Constitutional government led to a decline in the legislatures?
16. How far has Federalism led to a decline in the power of the Legislatures?
17. Will the power of the legislatures decline further with the introduction of Panchayat Raj?
18. How far have the NGOs and the International Non-Government Organizations (INGOs) led to a decline in the powers of the legislature?
19. What does Walter Bagehot in his English constitution mean by the `expressive function’ and the `teaching function’ of legislatures?
20. How far has the media led to a decline in the legislatures?
21. Has Direct Telecasting led to a decline in the legislatures?
22. How far have the Committees of the Legislatures affected the working of the Legislatures?
23. The task of redressal of grievances is no longer the exclusive function of legislatures because other agencies have emerged for the same. Comment
24. The PROs have also an important role to play in the redressal of grievances. Comment
25. It is said that during the Golden Age of the Earlier Parliaments , age, wisdom and oratory and gentlemanly behaviour and public concern all seemed to flourish and flourish together. Adult Franchise and Party loyalties have eroded everything. Comment.
26. As numbers have increased Legislatures have declined. Comment